Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Value of a Doula

This is being written in a bit of a hurry, and I'll probably have more to add, but I've done a bit of reading/talking to my mentor @ CBI and I've realised that I really need to value the work I do more.

It's difficult when you are just starting out, in unknown territory, you're still studying, the only experience you've got is the birth of your own children (although on thinking about it, those experiences have taught me a lot!). I admit that I really want my first two clients so I can get that piece of paper to get me 'certified'. But is a piece of paper really going to make that much difference? Am I going to suddenly know more, or care more, or do more, just because a piece of paper says I can? I really admire Carla Hartley from The Trust Birth Initiative/ Ancient Art Midwifery Institute, and I often read about her passion for getting RID of all the paperwork, red tape, etc. About getting so caught up in being registered or whatever that you sacrifice the women you are supposed to be caring for in the process. That a piece of paper means nothing - it is the women that mean something. I must admit she also seems a bit like me in wanting to keep her services cheap and accessible not because she doesn't value them, but because she is passionate about what she does and it goes beyond the issue of money. Doesn't help our bank accounts though, so somewhere along the line, something's gotta give...

I know I will support every one of my clients however I can/they want me to. No doubt I will spend hours of my time with my clients/researching things for my clients/talking to my clients/travelling to my clients. I will spend money travelling to my clients, I've already spent money on beginning a lending library, not to mention the cost of the course itself, advertising etc. I will most likely need childcare at some stage.

My wonderful mentor has said to me that by not charging these first two clients at all simply because I'm still studying, does that mean I do not value what I do enough to expect people to pay? And if I don't value it myself, how can I expect my clients to? It certainly stirred something in me and has made me consider what value I do place on my work. I also read something similar in the "Work of Heart" Photographer's handbook - if you charge little or nothing, then people see that as you not valuing the service you provide, and often they then don't value it either.

I care about women. I want to support and inform women, and in an ideal world, I could do that for free. In an ideal world, women wouldn't need hired doulas because they'd have their own woman community surrounding them as they did 'in the old days'. But many women don't have that support, and need to look elsewhere. While I hope to establish relationships with my clients, perhaps even ongoing friendships if it works out that way, I think if I am going to put so much time, money and passion into what I do, into a business, then I am worthy of some financial reward, even if it's minimal.

I am going to stand by my word, and keep my offer of 'my two qualifying clients free', but with a slight adaptation: By offering you this service, I am making a commitment - financially, physically and emotionally. I value the service I provide you, even as a student, and believe I can offer you a high quality service. Therefore, I am asking that my first 2 qualifying clients make a donation for my services (amount at your discretion).

I DO value my work, and admit I did get caught up in the 'I'll do anything to get clients'. Why? Because I'm EXCITED! I'm PASSIONATE! I can't wait for the day I can witness the miracle of birth and be there supporting a mumma (and partner if there is one) in what will be one of the most defining moments of that family's life. I want to be out there 'doing', and not just reading (like a maniac LOL) and studying about it.

Just because I love what I do though, doesn't mean I should undervalue it in a business sense (and as much as I cringe about calling what I do a 'business', and it reminds me of how hospitals have become money-hungry institutions making money out of women's misfortunes and all too often traumatic experiences, I have set out hoping I can cover my costs and supplement my family's income by doing this, so in essence, it's a business). I certainly don't want to come across as money hungry, because that is not who or what I am, so I sincerely hope that is not the message you've gotten from all this!

Phew. That was a bit of a jumbled mess.

Thank you all for bearing with me as I find my feet in a entirely new world to me.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment